[C-prog-lang-l] Usage of header files

Jan Pechanec jp at devnull.cz
Thu May 20 14:50:26 CEST 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021, Илья Завидный wrote:

>Hello,
>In the general rules for the final project it says that:
>"You may not use code written by someone else except of getting the POSIX
>tar
>structure from a header file. No other exceptions." Does that also mean
>that we cannot use such header files as string.h, stdlib.h, err.h? Best
>regards, Ilia Zavidnyi

Hi Ilia,

you may use such files provided by the C spec implementation,
POSIX/UNIX or the core OS itself.  E.g. err.h API is not part of the C
spec nor POSIX or UNIX but it's OK to use that as its implementation
is part of Linux glibc.

We do not want you to use any existing tar implementation code or any
other "helper" code you might find on github or provided by a fellow
student, etc.

The objective is that you learn C by completing some non-trivial code.

So, in the code you put into your repository, there should be no code
written by someone else.  By #including a system header, you are not
putting the file/code into the repo.  If what you want to use is not
in system (g)libc, you should not use that.  Also note that we require
only one file, mytar.c, so that precludes adding any other (header)
files to your project repo.

If unsure about specific use of something possibly outside of what I
wrote above, please ask.

Regards,
Jan

--